Sunday, June 6, 2010

Forever Ruined for the Ordinary

Hello and welcome back to my blog! Yes it’s been awhile and so much has happened so let me start where I left off...

...in Delhi


After spending about 2 weeks at the orphanage in Pune, we took the train to Delhi and stayed in Pahar Ganj (a really crummy part of town) for a few days while we figured out our course of action for our next month in India. Going to Delhi was a bit of a “faith trip” in that we didn’t really have any set plans for once we got there, however we all felt very strongly that God was calling us to be there for that season. And in the end, everything worked out in such a way that we felt our decision to go there was very much affirmed.


Back in Pune during the last few days we were there, a young doctor named Ben came to visit from England. He had connections with the orphanage through his church at home. We had some great times with Ben during those last few days and he quickly became like another member of our team. He was set to leave Pune a day before us, fly up to Delhi and then catch his flight back to England. Well during our train ride to Delhi we got a message from Ben saying his flight had been cancelled due to the volcano in Iceland so we made plans to meet up with him once we got to Delhi. As it turns out, Ben was staying with a guy named Joshua David, who he had met during some conference back in Pune. Ben told Joshua all about our team and our ‘situation,’ and Joshua, being a former YWAMer himself, invited our whole team to stay with him and his family for the remainder of our trip!


Joshua is an anchor for a Christian television network in India called CBN and is very involved with the evangelism efforts of his church. He connected us with his church and before we knew it we were plugged into a wonderful church community and serving with them by teaching Sunday school classes and teaching in their slum schools. Apart from that we plugged into their college ministry and did some dramas and speaking at their weekly meetings.


We were so grateful for all the friends we made at the church and the wonderful opportunity we had to serve there. I never thought of myself as being gifted in the area of teaching but I and several others on the team soon found out that we had some hidden gifts in this area! Perhaps the best part about that entire experience was just getting to know Joshua and his family: wife Mae and sons John and Josh. They were so hospitable and just welcomed us into their family right away. It was also so encouraging just sitting and talking to Joshua each night around the dinner table. He is so wise. Truly a man after God’s own heart.


While in Delhi several of us had the opportunity to go to Agra to see the Taj Mahal! It was breathtaking and such a dream come true to actually be there live and in person. I was in awe of the magnificence of it. We had a great day!


Our time in India came to a close on May 18th and I decided to fly home to see friends and family (and surprise my mom on her birthday!) before heading back to Belize. India was a great experience but extremely challenging, both mentally and physically, and I was in need of a break. It has been absolutely wonderful being back at home. I’m enjoying the things that I have missed over the last five months: a hot shower, clean bed, my favorite foods, Starbucks, TV, my laptop and phone...all the luxuries, yes i said luxuries, that we so often taken for granted. I’ve never appreciated America more than I do now after seeing a bit of the world.


So what’s next?


I will be heading back to Belize on June 7 to begin my internship on base. They’ve given me the title of “Social Networkologist” which basically means that I will be in charge of communications for DP- Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, Website, etc. Trying to boost enrollment and keep all people affiliated with DP connected. I’m really excited to be back on base and get back into the rhythm of things. I may be back in the Chicago area in early August for a wedding so please give me a shout if you will be around sometime around the 7th of August and would like to get together!


When I head back to Belize on Monday I am happy to say that I will be taking my laptop with me so I will be better connected and more available this time around. I look forward to keeping you updated with regular blog posts (check back often for updates-a new and improved blog is in the works!!!) and also being more accessible via email and Skype. I also am going to work on getting a Belize phone number so I will get that out to everyone when I get it figured out.


God is amazing and I am reminded of his love each and everyday. Lately I’ve been thinking about how so many of my dreams became reality when I made the decision to follow my heart and God’s leading. I’ve always wanted to learn how to sail...and not only did I learn, but I got to live on a boat for 3 months! Check. I’ve always wanted to go to Thailand...check. Always wanted to visit the Taj Mahal...check. Always wanted to do advertising/marketing in an arena where I could promote an experience or destination...check. When I stepped out in faith- quit my job, left my friends, family, and life in Chicago to learn about and grow closer to God- He blessed me in abundance and gave me all these desires of my heart! And I truly believe He wants that for each one of us. I challenge you this summer to think about an area in your life where you might be holding back. Are you passionate about something but are afraid to do it for fear of failure or what others might think? I say go for it! God is honored when we step out strongly and courageously and go forth in faith. He is the one who puts certain desires in our hearts and we shouldn’t be ashamed to follow them! You never will know the possibilities/blessings that may be waiting for you if you don’t go for it!


Anyways, I really do hope you all are doing well and enjoying the beginning of the summer!! Please let me know if I can be praying for you in a specific way. Thank you for reading!


Be Blessed,

Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated on your incredible journey! It is amazing to watch God use you in a huge way all over the world. Proud of you Britt for trusting in Him and living radically!! Praying for you girl :)

    ReplyDelete